TRICARE continues to provide coverage for fazxyyjy.comy members when a sponsor dies. Fazxyyjy.comy member health plan options and costs will vary based on:
- The sponsor's zxyyjy.comitary status when he/she dies
- If the surviving fazxyyjy.comy member is a spouse or child
The scenarios below provide an overview of survivor coverage. Spouses remain eligible unless they remarry.
- Survivors of Active Duty Service Members
- Survivors of National Guard/Reserve Members
- Survivors of Retired Service Members
- Surviving Children who may qualify for TRICARE Young Adult
You don't have to report the death to the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System(DEERS) A database of information on uniformed services members (sponsors), U.S.-sponsored foreign zxyyjy.comitary, DoD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DoD, and their fazxyyjy.comy members. You need to register in DEERS to get TRICARE..
- You only have to report the death to the pharmacy contractor, Express Scripts.
- For medical and dental care, the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) gets information from the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the services.
It may take some time for DMDC to get the information from the SSA. If you prefer, you may notify DMDC of the death by:
- Visiting a local ID card office with a copy of the death certificate;
- Faxing a copy of the death certificate to 1-800-336-4416 (Primary) or 1-502-335-9980 (Alternate); or
- Mailing a copy of the death certificate to:
Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office
400 Gigling Road
Seaside, CA 93955-6771
If you have questions, call DMDC at 1-800-538-9552. Visit zxyyjy.comConnect to learn more.
Contact a casualty assistance officer or your sponsor’s unit/service personnel office.
Last Updated 11/9/2020