Separating from Active Duty



Separating from Active Duty 


You have 90 days from your separation date to change your health plan.

You and your fazxyyjy.comy may qualify for temporary health care coverage when you separate from the service or get out before you retire.

Remember to schedule your Separation History and Physical Examination (SHPE) between 90 and 180 days before you separate or start terminal leave. The SHPE is a single separation examination the Department of Defense (DoD) and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) use to capture your complete medical history. >>Learn More about the SHPE

Active Duty Service Members

There are two programs for temporary coverage. You may qualify for:

  • Transitional Assistance Management Program
  • Continued Health Care Benefit Program

If you separate from active duty, that is different than if you retire. >>Learn More

National Guard/Reserve MembersIncludes members of the:
  • Army National Guard
  • Army Reserve
  • Navy Reserve
  • Marine Corps Reserve
  • Air National Guard
  • Air Force Reserve
  • U.S. Coast Guard Reserve

Your coverage options depend on your zxyyjy.comitary status before you separate.

If you separate right after active duty service, you may qualify for:

  • Transitional Assistance Management Program
  • Continued Health Care Benefit Program

If you aren't activatedCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row. when you separate, you may qualify for temporary coverage. Check with your Service representative for details.

If you're a member of the Selected Reserve and use TRICARE Reserve Select, you may purchase the Continued Health Care Benefit Program when you separate.

For more information, contact your Service personnel department.

What if my sponsor separates from active duty while I'm pregnant?

Your TRICARE coverage ends, but you may qualify for transitional healthcare under the Transitional Assistance Management Program or the Continued Health Care Benefit Program.

Did You Know?

Fazxyyjy.comy members, age 18 and older, can get a DS Logon for up to six months after sponsor’s separation so they can continue to access their information in zxyyjy.comConnect.

Separating from active duty is different than retiring ...

Learn about your TRICARE benefits if you are retiring from active duty.

"Separating" is Different than "Deactivating"

If you are deactivating,  you are not “getting out" of the National Guard or Reserves, but your zxyyjy.comitary status is changing so your health care options will also change. >>Learn More

Last Updated 3/23/2021